Our History: A tradition of excellence
Draper Valley Golf Club is situated on land deeply rooted in primitive and early Virginia history. Evidence discovered during course construction shows that primitive man had selected this site for settlement several thousand years ago.
John Draper and William Ingles were the first permanent settlers on the waters of the New River originally settling at Draper Meadows, the current site of Virginia Polytechnic and State University. About 1775, Draper moved his family some 20 miles west near the present dividing line between Pulaski and Wythe Counties, calling his new settlement Draper Valley. After Draper’s wife Betty died in 1774, Draper remarried in 1776 to the widow of Major Samual Crockett, Mrs. Jean Armstrong Crockett.
The original house on the property was Built in 1775, the older part of the home features stained rafters of walnut, a Joseph Swoope hand carved mantel, floors of oak planks, walnut wainscoting, and handhewn walnut posts.